Sunday 2 January 2011

Slow Cooker Beef Stew

I began to use the slow cooker a lot when we were living in Rugby and my job meant that I didn’t arrive home until 6.30pm, late to start cooking for hungry teenagers. The slow cooker was a gift from my friend Carol, and I bless her for it. It is so useful and the wonderful smell of stew or soup warms and fills the kitchen. This is just normal stew, but the day I made it I had run out of onions. I didn’t miss them but could add if necessary.


Layer 750g thinly sliced carrots, 750g thinly sliced potatoes, 5 crushed garlic cloves and 500g topside or stewing steak in the slow cooker. Add 3 tablespoons tomato puree and 1 tablespoon fruit chutney, mix slightly. Pour in enough water to almost cover the potatoes. Season generously with salt and crushed pepper.

Cook on High for 6 hours.

Mix half a cup of flour with a little water to make a paste. Add a ladleful of liquid from the stew to mix, then add the paste to the stew and stir to mix in. Add 2 cups frozen peas if wished, or serve separately.

Cook on High for a further 2 hours. Serve in wide bowls as the gravy might be quite runny.

Good with French bread and green vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment