Thursday 30 June 2016

Lemon curd

I have been making this lemon curd for over thirty years. The recipe is still on the same tatty bit of notepaper I used to write it down when my Swedish friend Margareta Espling came to stay with me in Kenya, when I was teaching in a village school.

It is my 'go to' comfort food.

The grated rind and juice of 4 large lemons.
1lb - 2 cups - of sugar
5 eggs, well beaten  - a mix of medium and large is probably best.
4oz - half a cup - of butter. Preferably Guernsey butter, because that is where I am now.

Mix all together in a large saucepan and heat gently, stirring constantly or the eggs coalesce.  The mixture will be runny for a long time, but when it thickens, pour it into jars and seal.

So simple.

I made some last night as a 'thank you' gift for colleagues - and have some left over, which is always a blessing. It took a couple of hours as I doubled the recipe, listened to a Bill Johnson talk online and generally pottered about, but oh!  So therapeutic after a very busy and stressful week.

Deliciousness in a jar....

No comments:

Post a Comment