Sunday 14 November 2010

Banana Bread

This originates from Kenya - yet is an American recipe, from the Wycliffe Bible Translation Society cookbook. Spiral bound, the book has been so well used that it has completely lost its cover. It's there, somewhere on the bookshelf. I think.

I can't remember the first time I made this. I suppose it was in Kenya, though I used the courgette cake recipe more frequently, somehow. Odd, when bananas are so ubiquitous in East Africaq. It was rare, though, that bananas survived long enough to become too soft for eating, as they do here in Europe. Here, the bananas we eat are large, solid, fleshy: brash contenders for the name from the Windward Islands (if they come under the Fairtrade label) or elsewhere in the Caribbean if labelled with the global giant, Fyffes...fee, fi, fo fum.  Kenyan bananas were usually finger-sized, sold at the bus terminals and stops in Kisii land in 'hands' of 20 or so, stacked together in flat baskets carried high on heads by small girls. Small, dry, delicious.

So my banana bread seems more European, to me, than Kenyan. This is not the original recipe. I've adapted it for ease and speed - my trademark in cooking.

Banana Bread
Mash 2 -3 bananas.
Beat in 1/3 cup oil, 1- 2 eggs, 1 cup sugar
Add 1 1/2 - 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon bicarbonate (baking) soda dissolved in 1/4 - 1/2 cup milk or water,
1 teaspoon cinnamon, cloves or nutmeg - or 1 teaspoon mixed spices. Even ginger.

Bake at 180/190 C (350/375) for 30 - 40 minutes.

It's a variable bready cakey thing. It all depends on the ripeness and softness of the bananas.

No comments:

Post a Comment